Merck leverages supplier baseline survey to collaborate and build awareness
On February 6th, Merck Canada invited a targeted group of Merck leaders, Merck internal customers, Tier 1 suppliers and diverse suppliers to its supplier diversity day at Merck.
The event built on the supplier diversity baseline survey Merck undertook in late 2012. Merck took advantage of the Baseline Survey process developed by CAMSC in partnership with Global Learning Inc..
The goals of the process were threefold:
- Build a baseline of current vendors which identify as diverse;
- Leverage results as a tool for internal/external outreach
- Create an event to engage suppliers and create program awareness
Thomas Cannell, president of Merck Canada, kicked off the event. “We believe, from a company perspective, that supplier diversity is very important”, he said. Jennifer Chan, Vice-president, Policy and Communications, presented the four founding pillars of Merck’s corporate responsibility: Access to health, Environmental sustainability, Ethics and transparency and Employees, and explained how diversity is linked to Merck’s corporate responsibility.
Merck took an innovative approach by inviting corporate partners and peers to present a high level overview of their programs, including Pfizer Canada, HP, and TD Bank, to demonstrate to internal and external stakeholders that corporations are collaborating to successfully build opportunities for diverse suppliers in Canada. CAMSC and WeConnect spoke about the business case for supplier diversity, as well as the benefits of certification.
Through the supplier diversity baseline and outreach process, Merck was able to:
- Generate momentum and dialogue around Supplier Diversity & Corporate Social Responsibility
- Increase supplier diversity program awareness amongst Merck business unit leaders and managers
- Set internal supplier diversity baseline
- Identify current vendors to Merck Canada that are eligible for certification as diverse-owned businesses
- Onboard key Tier 1 partners
- Enhance internal communications (Company journal, SD portal, etc.)
- Expand the relationship between Merck and its suppliers
The event ended on a high note, highlighting two of the certified diverse suppliers that have successfully delivered value to Merck, including Ptah Design Inc., a custom product design and apparel company, and Sorinco, a waste management solutions company.